There are a hundred and one reasons to stop SGC in its tracks. It will adversely affect our environment, our children, our businesses, our infrastructure and our wildlife.
Now that the official planning application has been received we see a very different Selwood Garden community being touted than the one that was originally proposed.
This makes us suspicious, and we still urge you not to believe the green-washing and continue to oppose this harmful development.
If you are hoping to persuade others to join the fight then here are the 8 major reasons to Stop SGC:
- Selwood Garden Community (SGC) will put great pressure on the already overwhelmed infrastructure of Frome and the surrounding area. Promises made by LVA to provide new employment opportunities and a first school are not binding and not enough. Even suggestions of investment into public transport are unconvincing as there are areas of Frome currently that cannot be accessed by bus.
- LVA’s proposal far exceeds the number of houses that Frome needs or the Council is required to provide to meet the quota set by the government. Even if they abide by their plans to build only 130 a year, the total number of excess houses remains the same.
- Combined with other developments in the Little Keyford area, it could mean 1,700 houses and 7,500 more residents that Frome cannot handle.
- Few of the houses will ever be ‘affordable’ and of the “408 social rented homes” how many will materialise and will these be build first?
- The site will become a dormitory village for commuters to Bath or Bristol who will spend little time in the town centre and be forced to drive to the ‘local’ shops. LVA’s new commitment to prioritising walking and cycling routes does not change the fact that the build is clearly designed around cars, for easy access to the bypass.
- LVA’s plan does not include extra medical facilities or school places required to support a development on this scale.
- It will lead to more local traffic, clog Frome’s roads and increase air pollution along roads into town and past primary schools.
- As soon as building starts, SGC will result in the destruction of an area of natural habitats and farmland that is double the size of Bruton. Once the fields at Little Keyword are gone they are gone forever. Replacing veteran trees with saplings is no solution.
Map guidance – use the icon in top left of the map to add and remove layers from the map. Use the icon in the top right to view a larger map (in a new window/tab).